A beautiful but under rated cut of meat. When slowed cook with crispy crackling it’s a treat to behold. 1 kg piece to serve 2-3 people.
- Pack size: 1 kg
- Pack Price: €9.95
- Price/kg: €9.95
- Score the pork belly using a very sharp knife.
- Lay the pork, skin-side up, on a rack in a roasting tin.
- Rub with oil and scatter with salt. This process helps the fat run out and the skin to crisp.
- Transfer to a heated oven, checking your recipe for times and temperatures.
- Pork belly needs a combination of slow gentle heat to tenderise the meat, plus a shorter blast at a higher heat to crisp up the skin.
- Here we cook at 180C/ fan 160C/ gas 4 for 2 hours 15 minutes then turn up the oven to to 200C/fan 180C/ gas 6 for a further 35 minutes to crisp the crackling.
- Once cooked and tender (this can be easily tested by piercing the flesh with a knife), remove pork from the oven, then leave to rest for 10-15 minutes before carving.
- Braised pork belly – enhance the spices with a soft, peppery Shiraz.
About Castlemine Farm
Castlemine Farm has a long and rich heritage located in the heart of Roscommon. The Allen family have farmed the land since the 1820's when Castlemine Farm was in the hands of Walter (Wally) Allen. The farm was passed down through the generations and Sean Allen took over in the 1950’s and has been farming the land ever since.
He was always of the opinion that the grass fed to animals gives a sweeter taste especially in limestone regions such as Roscommon. The farm has now passed to the next generation and is now run by Sean’s sons Derek and Brendan Allen.