- Pack Size: 2.2 kg
- Pack price: €25.00
- Price per kg: €12/kg
- Preheat your oven to full.
- Slash the fat side of the lamb all over with a sharp knife.
- Lay half the sprigs of rosemary and half the garlic cloves on the bottom of a high-sided roasting tray, rub the lamb all over with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place it in the tray on top of the rosemary and garlic, and put the rest of the rosemary and garlic on top of the lamb.
- Tightly cover the tray with tinfoil and place in the oven.
- Turn the oven down immediately to 170°C/325°F/gas 3 and cook for 4 hours – it’s done if you can pull the meat apart easily with two forks.
- With your shoulder of lamb, the very traditional options are an aged Bordeaux from France or mature Rioja from Spain.
- Red Bordeaux from the Médoc is usually blended from Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot, and as it ages develops savoury flavours and soft textures.
About Castlemine Farm
Castlemine Farm has a long and rich heritage located in the heart of Roscommon. The Allen family have farmed the land since the 1820's when Castlemine Farm was in the hands of Walter (Wally) Allen. The farm was passed down through the generations and Sean Allen took over in the 1950’s and has been farming the land ever since.
He was always of the opinion that the grass fed to animals gives a sweeter taste especially in limestone regions such as Roscommon. The farm has now passed to the next generation and is now run by Sean’s sons Derek and Brendan Allen.